Patch update 1.6 and note about v2.0

Patch update 1.6 and note about v2.0

Postby Daven » Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:07 am

First about the next major version - purchases since Sept 1, '14 until release shall be within the grace period for receiving this upgrade free. The plan is to incorporate samples and images into the signal processing.

Patch update 1.6

• New "Reference Samples" tutorial
  • Improved pitch tracking on samples
  • Folder navigation features in Preset browser
  • Deformer feature: random phase offset
  • Cycle "About" window
  • 18 new presets

Bugfixes:
  • Fixed when an envelope had a component deformer curve, it's gain was unsaved.
  • Fixed Windows 0xc0000142 error on AMD cpus.
  • Fixed after loading reference sample, phase spectrogram sometimes blank.
  • Fixed when loading a new sample while one playing back could cause crash.
  • Preset/sample browser now shows displays files of all supported sample formats (wav, ogg, flac, aif[f]).
  • Swipe pitch tracking algorithm inaccuracies for low pitches fixed.
  • Pitch envelope visualization more accurate in waveform surface.
  • Audio samples at different samplerates now play back properly.

Deformer feature: random phase offset

This is a solution to a sound design problem: how to create sounds where there's a lot of unisoned voices
each having their own irregular pitch envelope? For example a choir or ensemble of brass or string instruments.

Normal unison is not good enough, even when added with a warbly pitch envelope - that only sounds like an old VHS tape!

So among its other uses, with this feature you can use a meandering deformer curve as the looping part
of the pitch envelope, turn up the phase randomness value, and then the irregular curve will be randomly
offset (sideways) for each unison voice making a thick sound without the phasing artifacts. This is the effect visualized, basic unison on the right:

Some presets using this feature: brass chords and choir.

The random seed is unique in each unison voice and midi note, so each note of a chord will be different. This feature can also be used on the scratch envelope in pads for a nice fluttery effect.

Improved pitch tracking on samples

A new post-processing step helps the tracking accuracy quite a bit, so you need to do less work fixing the pitch envelope.

This is it quite precisely following the vibrato of a cello sample:

Folder navigation features in Preset browser

Added features to the Preset Browser helps navigate for samples within Cycle, avoiding the need to choose samples
from a dialog window each time.

Daven
Site Admin

Re: Patch update 1.6 and note about v2.0

Postby Aanszen » Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:59 am

Hi Daven.

Tried Cycle 1.6 again, fully expecting to waste my time... And I was right. Same old, same old. Same crash than reported almost 5 months ago and several times since then. Same issues with the installer, too. Nothing to add, nothing to subtract.

Just posting this as a warning to others: you really need to test the demo before buying.

As for me, I'm out for good this time.

And, Daven, if you had, say, bought some limited version of Cubase to conduct tests and fix this bug, you would already have my money and probably recouped your costs right there. And a better product. And more buyers. That's called investment, I believe. And yes, you need to buy more than one DAW, etc. That's not wasted money.

At least, I think so. I might be completely wrong. And it's your show anyway.
Aanszen

Postby wasi » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:01 pm

Hi daven,

Thanks for the updates! I'm unfortunately still getting crashes in 64bit hosts at sample rates above 44.1k. That's in Live, Reaper, Bitwig, Renoise and Bidule. If it doesn't crash on load it crashes when I try to open the GUI. Change to 44.1k and it runs fine.

Here is one event log (they're all the same except for the IDs):
Code: Select all
Faulting application name: BitwigPluginHost64.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x543d18e7
Faulting module name: ipp_cyc64.dll, version: 1.5.0.2516, time stamp: 0x542366d0
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000035c9cb
Faulting process id: 0xa6c
Faulting application start time: 0x01cffb5a2af9cf15
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Bitwig Studio\bin\x64\BitwigPluginHost64.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Amaranth Audio\Cycle\ipp_cyc64.dll
Report Id: 68d4529d-674d-11e4-8317-60a44c3163cd

Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

At least Bitwig doesn't crash outright like the other hosts do... It seems to be the same issue as I reported here:
http://www.amaranthaudio.com/forum/view ... =wasi#p278

relating to ipp_cyc64.dll. Back then you said you'd be updating your IPP license. Have you done that yet? Is there anything I can do to help troubleshooting?

This is on Windows 8.1 x64. I'd really appreciate if this could be fixed, as I don't really work in 44.1 anymore.
Fixed! Thanks!
wasi

Postby Ameyah » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:31 pm

thanks for the free v2.0 update. cant wait what you are cooking for v2.0 ;)
Ameyah

Return to Cycle